"like"

Kathleen Ferrara k-ferrara at TAMU.EDU
Fri Nov 17 21:37:20 UTC 2000

	The best article on what has been called "focus like" (He got like
perturbed.)is by Robert Underhill. 1988.  Like Is, Like, Focus, appearing
in American Speech 63:234-46.
	Two recent articles which work on quotative like (He's like, 'Get a
job!') but mention focus like are
	Kathleen Ferrara and Barbara Bell 1995.  "Sociolinguistic Variation
and Discourse Function of Constructed Dialogue Introducers:  The case of be
+ like, in American Speech 70: 265-290.
	Also, Sali Tagliamonte's 1999 article on Quotative Like:  Beyond
America, appearing in Journal of Sociolinguistics.
	Kathy

>Hi all,
>
>A few years ago I heard someone knowledgeable in sociolinguistics (James
>Cornish maybe?) say that there was some research on the use of "like" as a
>filler term.  I'm familiar with Michael Huspek's article on "y'know," but I
>am looking for something, like, specifically on, like, "like."
>
>Jim Aune
>Speech Communication
>Penn State

Kathleen Ferrara