DISCOURS Digest - 11 Nov 2000 to 17 Nov 2000 (#2000-108)

Igor Silantev silantev at SSCADM.NSU.RU
Sun Nov 19 09:12:29 UTC 2000

Maybe Maria means this article:

Dailey-O'Cain, J. 2000. The Sociolinguistic Distribution of and
Attitudes Toward Focuser 'Like' and Quotative 'Like'. In: Journal of
Sociolinguistics, 4, 1. 60-80.

And one more reference:

Andersen, G. 1997. "They gave us these yeah, and they like wanna see
like how we talk and all that. The use of like and other pragmatic
markers in London teenage speech", in: Kotsinas, U.-B., Stenstrom
A.-B., Karlsson A.-M. (eds.), Ungdomssprak i Norden: Foredrag fran ett
forskarsymposium, MINS (Meddelanden fran Institutionen for nordiska
sprak), 43, Stockholm University, 82-95.

---------------------------------
Dr. Igor Silantev
Novosibirsk State University

Pirogova 11, Novosibirsk, 630090, Russia
tel. +7 3832 397451; fax. +7 3832 303011
silantev at sscadm.nsu.ru
http://www.nsu.ru/ssc/siv/english

-----------

There's an article on 'like' in a recent volume of the Journal of
Sociolinguistics. I don't have it to hand right now, as I am checking my
email from home, but am happy to send on the reference when I am back in my
office if you can't locate it.

Maria Stubbe

At 00:00 18/11/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Date:     Sat, 18 Nov 2000 00:00:26 -0500 Reply-To: TheDiscourseStudiesList
> Sender:   TheDiscourseStudiesList  From:     Automatic digest processor
>Subject:  DISCOURS Digest - 11 Nov 2000 to 17 Nov 2000 (#2000-108) To:
> Recipients of DISCOURS digests
>There are 5 messages totalling 202 lines in this issue.
>Topics of the day:
>  1. "like" (5) Date:    Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:51:24 -0500 From:    James
>Aune  Subject: "like" MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain;
>charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
>Hi all,
>A few years ago I heard someone knowledgeable in sociolinguistics (James
>Cornish maybe?) say that there was some research on the use of "like" as a
>filler term.  I'm familiar with Michael Huspek's article on "y'know," but I
>am looking for something, like, specifically on, like, "like."
>Jim Aune Speech Communication Penn State Date:    Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:18:47
>-0500 From:    Christian Nelson  Subject: Re: "like" MIME-Version: 1.0
>I've got an article on this somewhere but can't, like, put my hands on it
>for some reason. I'm fairly sure it was a column by Geoffrey Pullum in that
>journal he used to have a regular column in (but please don't ask me to
>remember the title of the journal--I'm not a linguist by trade). BTW, could
>you share the bib. info. of Huspek's piece? Best, Christian
>James Aune wrote:
>> Hi all, > > A few years ago I heard someone knowledgeable in
>sociolinguistics (James > Cornish maybe?) say that there was some research
>on the use of "like" as a > filler term.  I'm familiar with Michael
>Huspek's article on "y'know," but I > am looking for something, like,
>specifically on, like, "like." > > Jim Aune > Speech Communication > Penn
State
>-- NetscapeCommunicator4.73Win3220000502 Date:    Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:23:43
>-0800 From:    Daniel Collins  Subject: Re: "like" MIME-Version: 1.0
>These articles are on the quotative 'like,' but they mention the filler and
>hedge functions.
>
>Blyth, Carl, Sigrid Recktenwald, and Jenny Wang.  1990.  I'm like, "Say
>what?!": A new quotative in American oral literature.  American speech 65:
>215-27.
>
>Romaine, Suzanne, and Deborah Lange.  1991.  The use of like  as a marker
>of reported speech and thought: A case of grammaticalization in progress.
>American speech  66: 227-79.
>
>>I've got an article on this somewhere but can't, like, put my hands on it
for
>>some reason. I'm fairly sure it was a column by Geoffrey Pullum in that
>journal
>>he used to have a regular column in (but please don't ask me to remember the
>>title of the journal--I'm not a linguist by trade). BTW, could you share the
>>bib. info. of Huspek's piece?
>>Best,
>>Christian
>>
>>James Aune wrote:

> [...]

Maria Stubbe

Research Fellow
Language in the Workplace Project
School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
Victoria University
PO Box 600
Wellington
New Zealand

Address in Maori:

Te Kura Taatari Reo
Te Whare Wananga o te Upoko o te Ika a Maui
Pouaka Poutapeta 600
Te Whanganui a Tara
AOTEAROA

tel:  +64 04 463 5637