discourse help

Elizabeth Brandt Betsy.Brandt at ASU.EDU
Wed Oct 4 18:46:09 UTC 2000

Hello,

As a linguist in the Southwest, I think the problem is in the
conceptualization of the problem on both ends.  "People in Arizona (or
anywhere in the Southwest)" and "New York"  are such broad categories as to
be meaningless. .  The great majority of Arizona's population is 1)urban; 2)
transient; every few years; 3) from somewhere else.  In the Phoenix metro
area, we have about half a million recent Spanish-speaking immigrants from
many different parts of Mexico, people who are Arizona natives who speak
Spanish and English, some 96 different languages spoken in schools, and many
different American Indian languages, and lots of dialects of English .

A book which I co-edited, long ago, Bilingualism and Language Contact:
Spanish, English, and Native American Languages. Barkin, Florence, Elizabeth
Brandt, and Jacob Ornstein-Galica, eds. New York:  Columbia Univeristy
Press, 1982 has two papers: one by Cooley and Lujan on speeches by Native
American students, and one by Siler and Labadie-Wondergem which deal with
this topic in speeches.

Betsy Brandt