Introduction

Victor Kuperman victor_list at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 18 03:05:58 UTC 2001

Dear DISCOURS subscribers,
as requested by the list policy, what follows is the
brief self-introduction.

I am Victor Kuperman, the MA student at the Graduate
School of Library and Information Science, the Hebrew
University, Jerusalem, Israel. My BA from the Hebrew
University (1997) is in Linguistics and English. One
of the research projects I am currently involved in
concerns discourse structure of narratives produced by
psychotic patients. Research is carried out in the
Kfar Shaul Mental Health Center, Jerusalem and heavily
relies on the first-hand interviews and medical files.
The medical perspective of the project is to pinpoint
correlations between the patient's condition and
his/her narrative, and potentially come up with
alternative narrative-driven classification of
psychotic states. The linguistic (or
humanities-oriented) side of the project is concerned
with defining structural (syntactic) and semantic
features of psychotic narratives, at this stage.
Another project deals with bilingual psychotic
patients and the discrepancies between expressing
psychotic reality in L1 and L2. Several papers that
resulted from these pieces of researchare available
upon request.

Victor Kuperman