Introduction

Paulo Gago pcgago at UOL.COM.BR
Wed Jul 18 19:43:37 UTC 2001

Hi,
My name is Paulo Gago, currently doctoral student at the Catholic University from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. My M.A. was in Applied Linguistics and I studied issues of framing and footing in the criminal written legal sentence, considering the discourse of the private and state attorneys and of the  judge. The focus was on how the judge arrived at the final decision about a criminal case influenced by those issues.
In my doctoral study I am investigating how alignments are criated in the discourse of negotiation meetings where there is no final agreement in the same meeting. I work in the interactional approach to discourse and  my interests lye on language and social interaction, language and culture, negotiation discourse, legal discourse,  research on foreign language teaching and learning.
I would be very glad to know if there is some new article on alignment and footing. I just know the classical ones (Goffman, 1974, 1981, Tannen, 1993, Clayman, 1992, etc.).
Paulo Gago