Introduction

Beverly A Sauer sauer at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Thu Jul 19 16:05:59 UTC 2001

Hi:

I'm working on "risk communication in a difficult cross-cultural
situation."  I did my field work in South African coal mines, mostly in
the Eastern transvaal. I'm coding speech and gesture in risk communication
and safety training programs where Afrikaans engineers (non-native English
speakers) must communicate in English thru translators (who oddly enough
speak ndebele and Tsonga) with predominantly Zulu-speaking coal miners
(there are also Venda and Northern Sotho speaking miners).

 Right now I'm trying to
frame the project by looking at the Bantu Education act of 1953 and its
consequences in workplace training (pre-Soweto; post-Soweto; and
post-1994 elections). I'd be interested in hearing more
about your own interests and any help and/or suggestions you might offer.

Bev Sauer
Associate Professor of English and Rhetoric
Carnegie Mellon University

on leave 2001-2002 as Visiting Associate Professor of English, Johns
Hopkins University, Washington Center.