Religious discourse

Daniel Collins collins.232 at OSU.EDU
Thu May 3 21:42:28 UTC 2001

Here are few older references that I have found interesting:

Du Bois, John W.  1986.  Self-evidence and ritual speech.  In
Evidentiality, ed. Wallace Chafe and
	Johanna Nichols, 313-36.  Norwood, N.J.
Dzameshie, Alex K.  1993.  The use of politeness strategies as
solidarity and deference moves in
	Christian sermonic discourse.  The SECOL Review  17: 113-26.
Ferguson, Charles A. 1976.  The collect as a form of discourse. In
Language in religious practice, ed.
	William J. Samarin, 101-9.  Rowley, Massachusetts.
-----.  1985.  The study of religious discourse.  Georgetown
University roundtable on languages
	and linguistics  1985: 205-13.
Samarin, William J.  1976.  The language of religion.  In Language in
religious practice, ed. William
	J. Samarin, 3-13.  Rowley, Massachusetts.

Also A. P. Martinich's work on religious speech acts (I can't turn up
a more precise reference at this point).

Daniel E. Collins, Chair
Department of Slavic and East European Languages and Literatures
The Ohio State University
232 Cunz Hall
1841 Millikin Road
Columbus, Ohio 43210-1215