Call for protest of ABC's slamming of interaction research

bev sauer sauer at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Fri Apr 5 19:01:22 UTC 2002

A note on slamming:  The NY Times, in its list of silly subjects at the
MLA, once slammed one of my first papers:  The Rhetoric of Disaster.

"The Rhetoric of Disaster"is also the name of my first NSF grant, which was
slammed again in Congress.  The book, the Rhetoric of Risk, will appear in
August (Lawrence Erlbaum Associates).

I have since had 4 NSF grants investigating communcation practices that
affect communication in a crisis.  The first sentence of my current project
begins, "In a disaster, firefighters must communicate...."  The book was
written two years before 9-11.

People slam what they don't understand.  They are threatened and fail to go
beyond the title.  In my own case, I feel a bit like Cassandra--my voice
was unheard because those in power did not take the Rhetoric of Disaster
seriously when it might have made a difference.

I am currently on leave at Johns Hopkins University, where I was hired in
August 2001 (fortuitously or not) to create a Center for Crisis
Communication.

Bev Sauer
Associate Professor of English
Carnegie Mellon University

on leave,
The Johns Hopkins University
Washington DC Center

--On Friday, April 5, 2002 12:02 PM -0500 Christian Nelson