Fwd: Re: CFP

el don eldon at GOL.COM
Wed Aug 7 10:14:30 UTC 2002

At 14:47 -0500 6/8/02, Chris Kreiser wrote:
>  At the same time, it
>  is important for us to make a concerted effort to reach out to these people
>  in the sciences who have already rejected the 'cognitivist' paradigm (by
>  which they mean Chomskyan and informational/ computer-like models of the
>  mind, etc.) and are moving ahead with the new 'cognitive-linguistic'
>  synthesis. We are convinced that these people who are working in the
>  so-called hard sciences would embrace our interest in their attempts to
>  utilize concepts from cognitive linguistics in redesigning their
>theoretical
>  paradigm.

may i here recommend terrence deacon's book "the symbolic species" to
anyone interested in the interdependence between mind, brain,
language and evolution.

terrence gave a great plenary last december in sydney at the
'language, brain, culture' conference organised by the australian
systemic functional linguistics association, which also featured a
plenary by michael arbib - all fascinating work.

regards,
lexie
--
alexanne don