Phonetic meaning

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo lxalvarz at UDC.ES
Sun Dec 1 02:18:11 UTC 2002

Dear Professor Val Belianine,

I believe there are a few little flaws in your experiment:

1) Respondent don't hear the sound itself, but see its phonetic
representation, so what they are evaluating is the mental representation of
the phonetic symbol (if they know it). You can't be sure whether what
respondents are evaluating is this mental representation, their "reading"
of word lists, a mental representation of orthographic symbols (for
example, phonetic [u:] may be spelled "oo"), or a combination of the above.
It may be the case that the perceived quality of a sound is modified by its
graphical representation associated typically with another sound. So it may
be the case that the diphthong in "row" is, say, "colder" for someone than
the same diphtong in "go" or "boat", but you don't have any way to know
which word(s) in the word list the respondent has focused on.

2) Not all sound distributions are contemplated. For example, you don't
present an example of initial [u:] like in "ooze".

3) Some are not sounds, but sound combinations, such as "kw".

4) If the experiment is on *sounds* (not phonemes), different scales would
be needed for variants, such as Standard American English [ou] and British
English <schwa-U>. You group these two variants in the same item. Since you
don't know the respondent's dialect, you don't know whether they are
evaluating one or the other variant.

5) The evaluation of sounds on some scales, such as "fast/slow",
"small/large" or "relaxed/tense", may be influenced by the respondent's
technical knowledge of sound classifications based on articulatory or
acoustic features (such as the "long/short" or "lax/tense" oppositions).

6) Allophones are grouped together, such as word-initial and medial /p/
([ph] and [p] are different sounds: one may be "stronger" than the other in
the respondent's mind.

7) You assume the sound you present is realized by the respondent equally
in all words you present in its corresponding word list. For example, for
<schwa> you give these examples: "walkER, finAlly, According, Account,
findER". Well, in American dialects some of these are schwa, others are
rhoticized schwa or even two sounds: [<schwa> r]. So you seem to be talking
about phonemes, in which case you should note all possible realizations of
each item in all English dialects.

7) Some words don't correspond with the sound being evaluated. For example,
in your list velar nasal [N], "aNGle, siNGle, readiNG, raNG", only the last
two are correct. In "aNGle" and "siNGle" what English has is two sounds,
velar nasal and velar voiced stop [g].  What is the respondent evaluating,
one or two sounds?

8) Since your hypothesis is that all sounds are either more or less "hot"
or more or less "cold" (for instance), and that influences "the connotation
of the text", if your hypothesis is proven statistically then there's a
little circularity problem, since the meaning of "hot", which is
phonetically [hOt], will have a different "connotations" for those who
evaluate the sounds [h], [O] and [t] differently. The same applies to
"cold", which also contains sounds/letters that "mean" things, and so on.
For example, for those for whom those three sounds are very "hot" in your
scale, then the word "hot" means hotter (more temperature) than those who
consider open [h], [O] and [t] "cold" sounds.

Etc.

In brief, companies such as yours should do a much better job in hiring
better linguists to design these "experiments":

>This method may be helpful in finding a proper name for your company, and
>building your future.

Believe it or not, there's a lot of unemployment in linguistics.  The "new
history of phonosemantics" you announce was invented decades time ago by
three big names: MaC Donald's, MaC-Intosh, and MiC-rosoft. Just a coincidence?

If you liked my comments to your project, I'd be glad to be hired for a
high fee.

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
lxalvarz at udc.es
http://www.udc.es/dep/lx/cac/