IMPORTANT: Virus information

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo lxalvarz at UDC.ES
Wed Jan 30 02:17:52 UTC 2002

Hello,

The virus is Bill Gates. Richest person on earth.

Virus are avoidable. To a certain extent, Bill Gates is, too.

I suggest:

1) Not allowing attachments in messages to the list (are they allowed now?).

2) If attachments are a must, allow only PDF files. There are FREE programs
to turn any document into a PDF file. Ghostview / Ghostcript are free
utilities. It takes a couple of steps to turn a file into a virus-free PDF
file, but then it works like magic. Ghostview / Ghostcript are not Microsoft.

3) Not using Outlook or Outlook Express. There are better, alternative
email programs. I like Eudora. It's not Microsoft.

4) Not using Microsoft Word in order to avoid opening and sending DOC files
with macro viruses. There are better word processors. I use and like Word
Perfect 8. It's not Microsoft.

5) Installing a "firewall" that detects unwanted calls in and out of one's
machine. I suggest Tiny Personal Firewall, freeware. It's not Microsoft.

6) Installing a good antivirus, of course. Norton, McAfee, PC-Cilin or
Panda are NOT Microsoft. Ain't it funny/interesting that Microsoft hasn't
developed or doesn't own any of the major antivirus packages around?
Instead, Microsoft constantly urges users to "upgrade" to another version
and to install "patches" to Windows due to "security holes".

Isn't it funny, too, that a good antivirus is NOT "bundled" together with
Windows, as Internet Explorer is? Or with Office? It would be easy for
Microsoft. Why don't they do it?

Cheers,
-celso
Celso Alvarez Cáccamo