The medium and the message (was: on viruses)

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo lxalvarz at UDC.ES
Thu Jan 31 13:37:45 UTC 2002

Dear all,

I apologize if my previous message about viruses and useful software was
inappropriate. It was not based just on personal likings, but on
considerations about the vulnerability of written words and about our role
as software consumers. My apologies again if someone doesn't like this
message, but I will continue.

I personally find it quite impolite when someone (whether through a list or
individual) sends an unsolicited attachment with a document susceptible of
carrying viruses or worms. I am not sure now if DISCOURS allows
attachments, but, if so, I would find it inappropriate for a list,
particularly when often attached documents are nothing but short pieces of
text which could perfectly be copy-pasted as text-only inside the message
itself. The waste of resources by sending irresponsibly formatted
attachments (hundreds of KB's for strings of ANSI characters, or hundreds
of KB's for unsolicited worms) is incommensurable.

Since another message warned that DISCOURS was disseminating viruses, I
thought my tips could be useful to minimize the risk. The risk of
viruses/worms can indeed be very serious for one's work. I believe the
computer-user community is not taking this risk seriously enough. With more
and more computers directly linked to the Internet permanently through
wide-band connections, all sorts or worms and spyware may be collecting and
sending data. For example, the amount of junk mail we receive is directly
proportional to the easiness with which we accept "cookies" and other
pieces of code that send information about our respective computers, IP's,
etc. This is no paranoia, but provable fact, and we're only starting to see
the tip of the iceberg of this daily intrusion in our electronic file
cabinets, be it by businesses, governments, or computer-savvy individuals.
It would not be difficult for groups, governments or individuals to carry
out "selective attacks" against particular individuals' computers. You
leave your office computer on -- connected to the Internet -- while you go
fetch a cup of bad machine coffee, and when you return, all your files are
gone, or copied somewhere without your consent. Again, this is not
paranoia, but a very real possibility, and do not hope that certain groups,
governments or individuals are not already exploring it (or practicing it).
One way to minimize this risk is to install a personal "firewall" program.

So, my message was simply intended to warn (or, at least, to state my
opinion) that we, as final, computer-semi-literate (only semi-) users, are
at the mercy of economic interests and empires that, while facilitating our
work, also hinder it by imposing needs and practices which we
unreflectively accept.

Fortunately, most backdoor worms are quite harmless yet. But, just as a
worm can slow down a computer's performance and play funny tricks on the
screen, etc., the same type of worm distributed through e-mail could simply
erase one's hard disk in a few seconds. It's that simple. Since a
distribution list is a haven for worms that gather email addresses, I just
don't want my work to be infected because thousands of people irresponsibly
use as-of-today faulty, vulnerable software such as, yes, Microsoft Outlook
or Microsoft Word imposed upon us by, yes, multibillionare William Gates.

Just as I (together with thousands of people) have a personal and political
stand against certain products and companies because of their commercial
policies, let me assure you that, if I humanly could in terms of time
resources and knowledge, I would not use Microsoft products. I only know
that I have NEVER distributed a worm or a virus in almost 20 years using
e-mail and the Internet, though I've caught several.

My apologies to all who consider this off-topic. To me, it's not -- it's
also about discourse, or rather, about The Discourse. I thought the medium
was also (a part of) the message.

Regards,
-celso
Celso Alvarez Cáccamo