Call for Papers Crit-Speak Stream (cms 2003)

Ken Ehrensal ehrensal at KUTZTOWN.EDU
Thu Jun 13 17:33:43 UTC 2002

Preliminary Proposal for a Stream for theCALL FOR PAPERS

THIRD CRITICAL MANAGEMENT STUDIES CONFERENCE

LANCASTER UNIVERSITY (UK)

7-9 JULY 2003

CONFERENCE WEB SITE: WWW.CMS3.ORG

STREAM TITLE:  "Crit-Speak": Analyzing the Language and Discourses of Critical Management Studies

DESCRIPTION OF STREAM:

Typically, streams or conferences focused on "organizational discourses" ask participants to turn their analytical lenses on others.  We propose to turn the tables and ask participants to turn their focus on either their own work or on the larger corpus of work in this area and to analyze the "talk" of critical management scholars.  We ask participants to analyze how our own discursive practices constitute a particular community of practice; how it draws distinctions between insiders and outsiders; and how the language used includes or excludes particular readers.  Additionally, we seek papers that discuss how to make the language and discourses of critical management studies assessable to undergraduate and post-graduate students in business and management programs, as well at to practicing managers.  We seek papers that draw on a broad range of analytic techniques, including critical discourse analysis, conversation analysis, the ethnography of communication, and so forth.  Preference will be given to "empirical" papers over conceptual papers.

IMPORTANT DATES:

Preliminary Abstracts due to Convenors                  18th October 2002

Acceptance Decisions                        13th December 2002

Revised Final Abastracts Due                        15th  January 2003

Full papers due                  15th  April 2003

CONVENORS:

Ken Ehrensal, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania (USA) --  ehrensal at kutztown.edu

Christina Wasson, University of North Texas (USA) --  CWasson at scs.cmm.unt.edu

Ngaire Bissett, Griffith University (Australia)  -- ngaire.bissett at rmit.edu.au

Adrian Carr, University of Western Sidney (Australia) --  a.carr at UWS.EDU.AU

Phil Hancock,  Glasgow Caledonian University (UK) --  P.Hancock at ntlworld.com

David Knights, Keele University (UK) - david.knights at virgin.net

Majella O'Leary, University College, Cork (Ireland) -- m.oleary at ucc.ie

Peter Thomas, University of Central Lancaster (UK) --  pthomas at uclan.ac.uk

Eero Vaara, Helsinki School of Economics and Business Administration (Finland) - evaara at hkkk.fi

SUBMISSION DETAILS:

Abstracts of no more than 1500 words should be sent to either Ken Ehrensal or Christina Wasson.  ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS ARE PREFERRED.  Please send as an e-mail attachement in "Word for Windows" or "RTF" formats.  Hardcopy abstracts can be mailed to: Ken Ehrensal, Management Department, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, Kutztown, PA, 19530, USA.

FORMATTING DETAILS:

Formatting requirements for extended abstracts which are to be included on the web and in the bound proceedings for participants.

·         Maximum length 1500 words

·         Title

·         Authors (affiliation, contact details)

·         Body of Text