Phonetic meaning

Groenewald Jeannette <jgroen@sun.ac.za> JGROEN at SUN.AC.ZA
Sat Nov 30 14:48:34 UTC 2002

I'll go to the website for you, Valerie, but I wonder whether you should not rather think of a continuum of sound (from hot, through warm, luke warm and cool to cold, for example) than of the dichotomies that you have described.
Regards
Jeannette

-----Original Message-----
From: Belianine Valeri [mailto:vbelyanin at MTU-NET.RU]
Sent: 29 November 2002 17:59
To: DISCOURS at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Phonetic meaning

Dear discourse-digest-readers!
I am a psycholinguist dealing now with sound symbolism and phonetic meaning. I have a hypothesis that all the sounds may be viewed upon as hot or cold, fast or slow, merry or sad. This makes the connotation of the text (even if we read it).

In the autumn, I have launched a psycholinguistic experiment on evaluation of the sounds of the English language. I am happy to tell you that results of my experiment will be available soon for all those who participated in the poll.

Unfortunately, I have only half of the data I need. In addition, not all the results are statistically valid yet. I need your help with the project SoundLetter. Your some 20 minutes of time will make the new history of phonosemantics happen.

Please go to the web-site http://www.almex.net/psycholinguistics/soundform

Thank you. Val Belianine, Ph.D. in psycholinguistics val at almex.net