Linguistics Grad Programs

Miriam Meyerhoff mhoff at LING.ED.AC.UK
Fri Oct 18 07:40:41 UTC 2002

If the student is not committed to staying in the US, there are of
course some very good programs in the UK. Loughborough (*lots* of
good people in social psych etc.), Lancaster (lx), Sunderland (Media
Studies) and University of London (Education) among others, and
depending on his particular interests, University of Edinburgh.

The UK system is a bit different: you either apply directly to do a
PhD (needs quite specific topic already) or you do a one-year taught
MSc which then converts into your first year of a PhD.

Wish him luck, mm

--

Miriam Meyerhoff
Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics

ph (131) 651-1836
fax (131) 650-3962

http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~mhoff/