public health communication

Paul Chilton P.A.Chilton at UEA.AC.UK
Wed Apr 16 12:23:31 UTC 2003

Dear Rosemary

I'd be interested to hear more about your research. Here at the University
of East Anglia in the UK, there is active collaboration between linguists
and medics on health communication issues. We're interested in the
communication and perception of risk and causality and are investigating the
communicative channels and styles used between experts and non-experts. The
media is a central area of investigation. In addition to discourse-oriented
approaches, some of us have cognitive linguistics angle--looking at
questions such as how natural language encodes concepts of causation,
probability, evidence and authority in health communication settings.

Do tell us more, if you have the time, about your work.

Paul Chilton

  -----Original Message-----
  From: TheDiscourseStudiesList
[mailto:DISCOURS at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]On Behalf Of R Aldrich
  Sent: 15 April 2003 01:36
  To: DISCOURS at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
  Subject: Introduction

  Hello all

  I am a researcher working in Australia investigating the link between
health, policy, discourse, health outcomes and health inequalities. I am
hoping to complete this year a PhD examining the language, values and
discourses of the health policies of our federal government concerning
Australia's Indigenous peoples over the the past three decades.

  My background is diverse - I have tertiary qualifications in journalism
and social history, medicine and public health and have worked in electronic
and print media, advertising, and as a clinical and public health doctor and
manager in hospitals and community. For the past five years I have been
running a public health research institute and teaching public health to
undergraduate medical students.

  I look forward to learning from and participating in discussions on the
Listserv

  Best wishes
  Rosemary Aldrich
  Newcastle, New South Wales