Enthymemes, a definition

Costin Radu costyradu at HOME.RO
Mon Apr 28 08:30:16 UTC 2003

I wish to ask if anyone can help me to find documentation on the web that contains special paragraphs about enthymemes. I am doing a paper with the title "The Use of Enthymemes in Advertising" and I cannot find a definition to be satisfactory. This happens because a lot of authors have changed the definition of Aristotle and everybody seems to be giving a sort of definition of their own. This wouldn't be such a bad thing after all, but some of them define the enthymeme as "arguments that have one or more unstated premises or conclusion, but that have those premises (or conclusion) implied in the argument". The other definitions link enthymemes to plausibility, to common knowledge or to something else, so, I cannot be cleared upon this matter. I ask you for documentation because I searched for books or manuals but I couldn't find anything. Romanian manuals don't discuss this subject. If you can't give me documentation, maybe you can work on a definition.

Thank you!