enthymemes, thanks

Costin Radu costyradu at HOME.RO
Tue Apr 29 16:47:43 UTC 2003

I wish to thank Mr.James Comas and Dr. Ulrich Hermann Waßner for the refereces they provided to me and for their effort.

I was just reading Aristotle's rhetoric so your link might be helpful.
Unfortunately, I don't know German (only English, French and Romanian) so I will not be able to use the German references. Also, my paper on "The use of Enthymemes in Advertising" will be written in Romanian so I don't think it will be of much help to you. More than that, my material for the analyssis of advertising arguments is written also in Romanian....
I have structured my paper in 6 parts and the first three are mainly general - the definition of rhetoric, advertising and argumentation (how they link) - the definition and the history of the term enthymeme - Stephen Toulmin model and some theory of Douglas Walton as instruments for/in my analyssis.
I found it rather surprising that there haven't been written books about enthymemes. Or, there have been written a few, but here in Romania I cannot find one. So I must be satisfied with passages from different books or the Internet.

I was wondering if you know models or instruments of recognising and of filling in the missing assumptions of an enthymeme. How do I know I found an enthymeme and what is the rule of finding the assumption that the orator wanted to use.

I wish to ask one more question, I hope you won't mind. I don't know Greek so I cannot trace the ethymological root of the term "enthymeme". I found two approaches on this matter. One says that enthymeme comes from the Greek word enthymema (en - in - thymos - mind). Another one it says that in Greek it meant "to be remembered in mind". Which one is correct? Why do you think the verb "remembered" appeared in the second approach?

Best regards,
C. Radu