Rhetoricians for Peace

Kahn, Seth skahn at WCUPA.EDU
Thu Dec 11 15:24:08 UTC 2003

Apologies for cross-postings...

Hi folks.  Please take a minute to read the following invitation to join
Rhetoricians for Peace.  I won't preach about how important it is for
those of us concerned with rhetoric to be active politically in and out
of our classrooms; we know that already.  --Seth

Rhetoricians for Peace, a nationwide progressive organization for
teachers and students of rhetoric, was founded in the Spring of 2002,
and currently has over 140 members. With the next Presidential election
less than one year away, writers and teachers are in positions to exert
real influence in the election's outcomes and to work for peace and
justice more broadly. We invite you to join us in our efforts to raise
the level of political discussion through exposing manipulations of
language and supporting serious rhetorical engagement with questions of
the future of our nation and world.

The organization's mission statement is:

Rhetoricians for Peace is a grassroots network of global citizens who
advocate the open exchange of accurate information and responsible
analysis in order to promote social justice and the peaceful resolutions
of conflict.

To achieve this end, Rhetoricians for Peace will examine public
communications and their contexts in the following ways:

- analyzing public discourses and the rhetorical situations in which
those discourses occur;

- countering manipulative rhetoric, lies, dishonest representations of
facts, and appeals to the power of force over reason and empathy for
others; and

- networking with organizations dedicated to open inquiry, particularly
organizations that promote peace, environmental responsibility, and
social justice.

RFP's current projects include:

- rhetorical analysis of public statements, including policy and media
sources, and the circulation of analyses to the public and to political
activists, through the organization's website and other media;

- the promotion of dialogue dedicated to open inquiry of public
discourses in communities and educational venues, including schools and
academic publications;

- liaison with other groups, in academia and elsewhere, who advocate
goals similar those of the organization, with the ultimate goal of
creating a virtual think tank addressing issues of politics and
language;

- publicly recognizing through an annual award rhetors who have
contributed to sane and courageous discussion of American foreign policy

- the creation of a network of individuals willing to speak on these
matters in public forums.

To join the group, go to
https://mail.lsit.ucsb.edu/mailman/listinfo.cgi/rfp

Seth Kahn
Assistant Professor of English
West Chester University
West Chester, PA 19383
610-436-2915 (office)
610-696-3057 (home)

"The main cause of problems is solutions."  Peter Straub, Mr. X