guilt and denial

Alexandre Penasse apenasse at ULB.AC.BE
Thu Mar 13 10:07:48 UTC 2003

Dear list-members,

I am a final year student in social psychology. I am preparing my final
project which includes an analysis of interviews of previous Belgian
colonials in Congo and of Congolese people who lived in Congo before the
independence in 1960. I am particularly interested in the link between
collective memory and collective guilt. In this framework, I am looking
for references and/or advise on how to define and research evidence of
feelings of guilt in discourse. For example, I thought that denial would
be such an evidence. But then, how does denial manifest in discourse? And
are all forms of denial indicative of guilt? Are there formal methods to
carry out such an analysis? Any hint would be much welcome.

Regards,

Alexandre Penasse