Introduction and question about advice columns

Miriam Locher ml55 at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Mon Mar 31 12:38:42 UTC 2003

Hello,

my name is Miriam Locher and I work as a senior assistant at the English
Department of the University of Bern in Switzerland. My PhD was on "Power
and politeness in disagreements". My current research interests include
politeness and the exercise of power in conversational discourse, the
construction of identity with linguistic means, narratives and the
realization of advice in Internet advice columns.

And here is already my first question. Are you aware of literature on
advice columns? I know the work of Heritage & Sefi and Silverman who all
work with interactive, conversational data, but have not  yet been able to
find anything on advice columns in particular.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks,
Miriam Locher