enthymemes, thanks

John Rooney rooneyj at COOLEY.EDU
Fri May 2 04:24:38 UTC 2003

My old New World dictionary cites a verv transliterated as 'enthymeisthai' = to consider, reflect upon.

>>> ComasJ at MISSOURI.EDU 05/01/03 22:29 PM >>>
On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, at 11:00  PM, Automatic digest processor
wrote:

> I wish to ask one more question, I hope you won't mind. I don't know
> Greek so I cannot trace the ethymological root of the term
> "enthymeme". I found two approaches on this matter. One says that
> enthymeme comes from the Greek word enthymema (en - in - thymos
> - mind). Another one it says that in Greek it meant "to be remembered
> in mind". Which one is correct? Why do you think the verb "remembered"
> appeared in the second approach?

What little I know of the etymology of "enthymema" comes from the
Liddell-Scott-Jones _Greek-English Lexicon_ (LSJ), which is available
online through the extraordinary Perseus Project:

	http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/

According to the LSJ entry, "enthymema" is not found until the 5th
century, its oldest appearance being in Sophocles' _Oedipus at
Kolonos_, where it has the meaning of "thought, piece of reasoning,
argument." The word derives from an older verb "enthymazo," the oldest
meaning of which is given as "lay to heart, ponder"; later, it comes to
mean "to infer," or "to conclude."

The verb, in turn, is constructed from the noun "thymos," which is
found in Homer and which is usually translated as "spirit," "soul," or
"mind" but which has a complex and shifting relationship with "nous,"
"psyche," and "kardia." It often is used to refer to that part of the
spirit that prompts one to action and is obviously related to the Greek
notion of desire -- "epithymia."

LSJ notes that Plato is correct when, in _Kratylus_, he derives
"thymos" from the verb "thuo," meaning "rage" or "seethe."

Much more information can be found in the LSJ entries; but I could not
find anything relating this set of words to the idea of memory. If
there is a connection between "thymos" and memory, it is likely to be
in Plato. But I'm fairly sure Plato is consistent in using the term
"psyche," not "thymos," in discussions on memory ("anamnesis").

I'd be interested in seeing the argument that relates "thymos" to
memory. And I hope there are some real classicists on this list that
could offer more help.

Jim
--
Dr. J. Comas