EXTENDED DEADLINE for CCCC Qualitative Research Network and Workshop

Kahn, Seth skahn at WCUPA.EDU
Wed Dec 15 18:48:24 UTC 2004

Dear all,

We are extending the due date for proposals for the 20005 Qualitative
Research Network and Workshop, to be held at 4Cs in San Francisco. The
new deadline is January 10, 2005. See call for proposals below.

--Seth

***********

Call for Proposals: Individual Research Presentations for the
Qualitative Research Network and Workshop to be held Saturday, March
19th from 2:00-5:30 p.m. at the 2005 Conference on College Composition
and Communication (in San Francisco).

NEW DUE DATE: Jan. 10, 2004

Individual presentations for Qualitative Research Network and Workshop
are now being accepted. This workshop, which occurs annually at the
CCCC, is offered by members of the Special Interest Group in Qualitative
Research for new and veteran qualitative researchers.

In the first hour of the workshop, we will hear Jabari Mahiri, Associate
Professor, University of California, Berkeley, and Tobi Jacobi,
Assistant Professor, Colorado State University, discuss the promise and
challenges of conducting activist research.

Jabari Mahiri will explore what happens when researchers cross
boundaries of race, class, and gender to conduct research. Drawing on
his own study of African American urban youth as well as other activist
research, he will address the following question: Is difference always a
casualty of collisions of ideology and method? Tobi Jacobi will explore
the multiple institutional layers that a researcher must navigate when
conducting activist research with participants of an at-risk population.
Drawing on feminist qualitative research methods, she will discuss her
study of/work with women in prison. Other veteran researchers with
experience in activist research will be on hand to lead the discussion
that follows this presentation.

The rest of the workshop will be organized as a research roundtable in
which researchers will present work-in-progress. Veteran researchers
will be on hand to facilitate roundtable discussions and to offer
feedback. The goal of this annual workshop is to offer mentoring and
support to qualitative researchers at all levels of experience.
Presenters may focus on specific concerns and/or broader issues related
to qualitative research and we encourage submissions from those at any
stage of the research process. Each presenter will have twenty minutes
for both presentation and feedback, which will necessitate presenters to
offer concise and accessible summaries of their studies. After all
submissions have been collected, the planning committee will provide
presenters specific details about the format of the workshop.

Please send a brief description (approximately 500 words) of your
research proposal to Roxanne Mountford, Chair, Special Interest Group in
Qualitative Research, via email (roxanne at u.arizona.edu) **by Jan. 10.**
Be sure to include a brief overview of the research project, the stage
the project is in, and the questions/issues you wish to discuss with
other researchers. Place your proposal in the body of the email, or
attach a word document in Word (.doc) or rich text format (.rtf).
Descriptions need not be exhaustive; we only ask that you provide a
general overview of your study as well as a statement about the kinds of
feedback you would like to receive.

**Presenters will be notified of their acceptance on or before Jan.
15.**

***PLEASE FORWARD TO OTHER RESEARCHERS***

Seth Kahn
Assistant Professor of English
West Chester University
West Chester, PA 19383
610-436-2915 (office)
610-696-3057 (home)

"While there is a lower class, I am in it. While there is a criminal
element, I am of it. While there is a soul in prison, I am not free."
--Eugene V. Debs