Theory Question from a Neophyte

Eleanor Kutz Eleanor.Kutz at UMB.EDU
Fri Oct 1 13:03:34 UTC 2004

Wallace Chafe has done a lot of work comparing people's spoken and
written language when used for various purposes.  I've found his
analytical approach to be very useful in my own work and for my graduate
students.  I don't know of anyone who has applied this to
computer-mediated communication, but that's not something I've looked
for.
I'd love to hear more about what you find.
Ellie Kutz

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Revels [mailto:mark.revels at WKU.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 8:44 PM
To: DISCOURS at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Theory Question from a Neophyte

Hello Linguists!

I am a doctoral student studying the use of computer mediated
communication in higher education. I am looking for an extant theory
that rates the use of verbal communication in comparison to other forms.
For example, has verbal communication been shown to be the most
effective, efficient, etc.?

Also, I would be interested in knowing about linguistic/communication
theories that compare verbal communications to other forms, specifically
in the context of learning.

Any help in this area would be much appreciated!

Mark