Theory Question from a Neophyte

Rene Dirven rene.dirven at PANDORA.BE
Sat Oct 2 18:53:09 UTC 2004

Dear all,
This is not a direct answer to your question, but indirectly it may open up
a major inroad into the problem area.
It is an item from METBIB, an electronic bibliography of metaphor and
metonymy, to go online from Benjamins, Amsterdam in early 2005.
Good luck for your enterprise,
Rene Dirven

Seitz, Jay A. 1998. Nonverbal metaphor: A review of theories and evidence.
Genetic, Social, and General Psychology Monographs 124: 95-119.
Abstract
Traditional approaches to metaphor--the received view--have viewed metaphor
as largely a property of language behavior. As a result, theories of
metaphoric processes have been overly parochial evidencing an inability to
explain various phenomena that may share similar underlying processes. Three
accounts of metaphor are reviewed: The language view, the synesthetic view,
and the cognitive view. In support of the cognitive or symbol systems
approach various lines of evidence are offered: Prelinguistic evidence
including studies of metaphor-in-action and physiognomic perception as well
as evolutionary considerations; studies of children's comprehension and use
of spatial, gestural, and pictorial metaphor; and adult studies of gestural
representation and evidence from injury to the brain. Various theories of
nonverbal metaphor are reviewed with special attention given to visual
metaphor including illustrations from art theorists and historians and
arguments from philosophers. Finally, the issue of visual metaphor is framed
within a more general theory of visual thinking;
(Jay Seitz) www.york.cuny.edu/~seitz/pubs.html