unsubscribe

Alexander, Olwyn O.Alexander at HW.AC.UK
Wed Dec 7 11:45:40 UTC 2005

Ms Olwyn Alexander
Foundation English Programme
School of Management and Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Riccarton
Edinburgh

T: +44 131 451 8189
F: +44 131 451 3079
E: O.Alexander at hw.ac.uk
W:www.som.hw.ac.uk/Staff_Profiles/OlwynAlexander.html

-----Original Message-----
From: TheDiscourseStudiesList
[mailto:DISCOURS at listserv.linguistlist.org] On Behalf Of Gieve, Dr S.N.
Sent: 07 December 2005 10:48
To: DISCOURS at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subject: Re: [DISCOURS] Discourse and sports policy

Hi Jo

I assume you are familiar with the work of David Kirk, recently of
Deakin U and possibly still there?
 A couple of references i have are :-

Kirk, D. (1994) 'Making the present strange?': Sources of the current
crisis in physical education. Discourse  15.1 pp46-63

Kirk, D., D. Macdonald & R. Tinning. (1997) The social construction of
pedagogic discourse in physical education teacher education in
Australia. The Curriculum Journal 8.2. pp. 271-298

He also has a 1992 book Defining physical education: the social
construction of a school subject in post-war Britain. London: Falmer
Press.

As you can see he is about teacher education, but his approach is
discursive constructionist, and you may find some useful parallels to NZ
sports discourse.

Best

Simon Gieve

Simon Gieve