introduction

Christian Nelson cnelson at COMM.UMASS.EDU
Mon Jan 31 13:20:54 UTC 2005

Dear Cornelia:
I strongly suggest you take a look at the following article by
Christina S. Beck: "You Make the Call: The Co-Creation of Media Text
Through Interaction in an Interpretive Community of 'Giants Fans.'"
It's published in the Electronic Journal of Communication, which is
archived at the CIOS.org website. Its about the discursive construction
of a sports fan identity within a TV viewing group--that identity being
based in part on a certain kind of expert knowledge about one's favored
team/player (though this last point is perhaps more implicit in the
article).
Best,
Christian Nelson

On Jan 31, 2005, at 3:42 AM, Cornelia Gerhardt wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I’ve just joined this list and was asked to introduce myself.
>
> I am working as a graduate assistant for the chair of English
> linguistics at
> Saarland university in Germany. I am currently writing a thesis on the
> talk of
> people watching sports on television. The question I am tackling right
> now is
> how people manage to become seen as experts through talk.
>
> I’d be grateful for any information about work that has been done
> previously in
> this field.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Cornelia Gerhardt
> Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin
> Lehrstuhl für englische Philologie – Sprachwissenschaft
> Universität des Saarlandes
>
> c.gerhardt at mx.uni-saarland.de

> This mail sent through IMP: https://webmail.rz.uni-saarland.de

Christian Nelson, Ph.D.
Scholar  in Residence
Dept. of Marketing and Health Communication
120 Boylston St.
Emerson College
Boston, MA 02116-4624