From Gulf to Gulf

Christian Nelson cnelson at COMM.UMASS.EDU
Sun Sep 4 02:50:04 UTC 2005

Re: Trent's comments: I could be wrong, but I believe the FEMA head was
claiming he was unaware of the situation at the convention center, not
the Super Dome (not that that wasn't an awful situation in itself, and
not that there was any real excuse for not knowing that the convention
center was a refugee gathering point, given that local officials had
been directing refugees there for days). Haven't heard what the excuse
was regarding the public hospitals. In any event, there's work out
there on the rhetoric that Trent mentions--the rhetoric which blames
the poor for their poverty (and all that comes with it):
James Aune's Selling the Free Market and Thomas Frank's One Market
Under God.
--Christian Nelson