From Gulf to Gulf

felicitas macgilchrist flyssm at GMX.DE
Wed Sep 7 08:35:51 UTC 2005

> Presumably they did not anticipate having their evacuation personnel
> fired upon by hurricane survivors. Or is this a routine occurrence in  the
> aftermath of a hurricane?

There are rumours (Gabriella is totally right, there is excellent reporting,
in the blogs and the mainstream media, and even Fox News criticized the Bush
administration) that it was not in fact 'evacuation personnel' who were
fired upon, but the helicopters which were whizzing overhead - past the
stranded - to secure the oil reserves, etc. These same rumours suggest that
the issues of race and violence are merely a front to cover for the economic
issue here. Not a lot of people have commented on the priority which seems
to have been given to saving the oil, before the people were rescued. (Just
an idea ;-)

The other thing was, how about we add the DA perspective to the op-eds
around? In our privileged position (with lots of credibility and 'category
entitlement' in these prof/dr titles), we would be listened to by the media,
and perhaps be worthy of a place in the op-ed pages. Would be a nice channel
for all the energy (and experience and keen observations) seen in these
email lists. And writing at the speed required for news media might help us
empathize with the news writers (some of us) analyse? Plus op-ed pieces can
squeeze in so much context and analysis, for which there is no room in hard
news. Sorry for suggesting this as if no-one has done it yet, I'm sure some
of you have.
(And I'll write if someone will lend me their professor title ;-)
All the best,
Flyss

--------
felicitas macgilchrist