Introduction

Ian Roderick iroderick at WLU.CA
Thu Jul 6 00:51:55 UTC 2006

Dear list members,

My name is Ian Roderick and I am an assistant professor in the Communication Studies department at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

I became quite interested in CDA and social semiotics during my MA studies but slipped away from it while writing my doctoral dissertation. I have  recently come to find myself interested in returning to a more systemic form of discourse analysis in my own research. Presently I am interested in representations of autonomous technologies (robotics, UAVs, intelligent agents, etc.) particularly in a military context but I also have a strong interest in public space and exhibitionary spaces, in particular. I also hang out on the Language of New Capitalism list.

As well as an introductory course on mass communication and another in print communication, I teach a course entitled The Cultural Political Economy of the Theme Park and another I call The Operating System of War.

I expect that this is a quiet time for the list but I hope to contribute when and where I can.

best regards,

Ian Roderick