Introduction

Peter Sheehan petes1974 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 20 16:59:48 UTC 2006

Hello.  My name is Peter Sheehan.  I am a public librarian in Houston, Texas.  I received my MLS in 2004.  Formerly I was a tax accountant and still hold my CPA license.

  In 1999 I developed a rare disorder known as spasmodic dyshponia which affects the vocal cords.  As my speech difficulties became more prominent, my interests turned more and more to communication and semiotics.  As Katharine Hepburn said "Plain women know more about men than beautiful ones do.  But beautiful women don't need to know about men.  It's the men who have to know about beautiful women."  As someone who physically struggles with the verbal aspects of communication, I have become more aware of the other facets of communication.

  I'm not sure how much I will contribute to this list, as this is more of a personal interest rather than an occupational one, although information science is tied to discourse analysis.  Even so, I have read many previous introductions and look forward to learning from the bright minds associated with this list.

  Regards.