"(Critical) Discourse Analysis" on Wikipedia

James M. Wilce jim.wilce at NAU.EDU
Sat Mar 11 01:45:48 UTC 2006

Well, to linguistic anthropologists on this list, inspired by
Professor van Dijk, I checked out our entry. It's no better! First,
there is none! The search is redirected to Anthropological
linguistics, and here are the first few sentences:

"Anthropological linguistics is the study of language through human
genetics and human development. This strongly overlaps the field of
linguistic anthropology, which is the branch of anthropology that
studies humans through the languages that they use.

Whatever one calls it, this field has had a major impact in the
studies of visual perception (especially colour) and bioregional
democracy, both of which are concerned with distinctions that are
made in languages about perceptions of the surroundings."

Bioregional democracy? Anthropological linguistics focuses on human
genetics? Who IS writing these entries?

Jim Wilce

On Mar 10, 2006, at 4:46 PM, Teun A. van Dijk wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> I do not usually look up Wikipedia when I need to know something I
> do not know, although the idea of a shared net-cyclopedia is great,
> and I wished we had something like that for discourse studies (I
> proposed the idea some years ago, but it did not work out because
> of technical problems: on which server to put it, etc...).
>
> However, if you type in "Critical Discourse Analysis" or "Discourse
> Analysis" in Google, as undoubtedly many students do, then you also
> hit on the Wikipedia definitions - and on some surprises, such as a
> mere two books being mentioned as references for DA, one of which
> is... Austin's How to do things with words: Check it out for yourself:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discourse_Analysis
>
> as well as some other confused, misguided, etc, statements like:
>
> Thus, most discourse analysts following Harris have conducted work
> that falls under the heading of “pragmatics” in modern linguistics,
> rather than “syntactics,” though many discourse analysts would
> reject linguists’ tripartite division of the main characteristics
> of language--the third characteristic being "semantics."
>
> (...)
>
> Critical discourse analysis, which combines discourse analysis with
> critical theory (particularly that of the Frankfurt School, Michel
> Foucault and Jacques Derrida, as well as literary, semiotic and
> psychoanalytic influences from Julia Kristeva, Roland Barthes, and
> Jacques Lacan), to create a politically engaged form of linguistic
> discourse analysis.
>
> Of course this is no drama, but always worrying about what students
> learn, I find this at least a bad example of a Wikipedia entry. Or
> maybe I simply have no idea who of all these French heroes were
> actually CDA-ers avant la lettre... Jaques Lacan a CDA-er?
>
> The item on CDA has the following surprising statement:
>
> In terms of method, CDA can generally be described as hyper-
> linguistic or supra-linguistic, in that practitioners who use CDA
> consider the larger discourse context or the meaning that lies
> beyond the grammatical structure.
>
> Obviously, this has little to do with CDA (or is a raving triviality).
>
> Just check it out:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Discourse_Analysis
>
> And while you are at it, also check the (basic) entry on Discourse:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discourse
>
> where you can read initial statements such as:
>
> Discourse is a term used in semantics as in discourse analysis, but
> it also refers to a social conception of discourse, often linked
> with the work of French philosopher Michel Foucault (1926-1984) and
> Jürgen Habermas' The Theory of Communicative Action. Even though
> each thinker had personal and incompatible conceptions of
> discourse, they remain two important figures in this field;
> Habermas trying to find the transcendent rules upon which speakers
> could agree on a groundworks consensus, while Foucault was
> [...]

Jim Wilce, Professor of Anthropology
Editor, Blackwell Studies in Discourse and Culture
Box 15200
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff AZ 86011-5200
Bldg. 98D, Room 101E
Office: 928-523-2729
email: jim.wilce at nau.edu
Home page: http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22

Note: I'm having trouble with email, specifically with people who try
to reach me by hitting Reply to an email I send them. It's better to
manually enter my address, jim.wilce at nau.edu. Thank you.