Introduction

Elspeth Kempe elspeth at KEMPE.NET
Wed Oct 4 18:15:37 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

I am a PhD student at the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg,
South Africa.

In my research I am looking at the ways of talking developed in a study
group of post-graduate students, all English teachers, as they worked
together. A particularly democratic community of practice was established
through talking about both their studies and their teaching practices as
they worked together on academic texts.

I need to be able to contrast these democratic ways of talking with the
standard, power-laden academic discourses generally found in academic
contexts.

If the List members could point me towards some references on academic talk
at university level I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

Elspeth Kempe
Applied Linguistics