New book - DAPSAC series

Élisabeth Le elisabeth.le at UALBERTA.CA
Thu Sep 14 14:52:44 UTC 2006

Dear Discourse Analysts,

I would like to announce the publication of my book, The Spiral of
'Anti-Other Rhetoric', that deals with media language use and
intercultural / international relations.
I hope you will find it useful, and I would be very grateful for your
feedback. Sincerely,

munication Studies / Linguistics
  Communication Studies / Linguistics
The Spiral of 'Anti-Other Rhetoric'
Discourses of identity and the international media echo
Elisabeth Le
University of Alberta
How do media inform our representations of the Other and how does this
influence intercultural / international relations? While officially dialogues
between different national societies are conducted by diplomats in bilateral
and multilateral settings, in practice journalists also participate every
day in such dialogues through the phenomenon of the "international
media echo" in which they report on each others' societies. Until now,
media have only been investigated for their potential role in the foreign
policy of specific states. In a case study involving media in three national
cultures and languages (French, American and Russian), this book
presents an interdisciplinary framework that combines quantitative
and qualitative analyses for the study of the international media echo in
an intercultural / international relations perspective. In particular, the
fundamental functioning of "spirals of anti-Other rhetoric", i.e. media
wars, is examined in a Critical Discourse Analysis approach completed
with Social Identity Theory and International Relations theories.
[Discourse Approaches to Politics, Society and Culture, 22] 2006. xii, 280 pp.
Hb 90 272 2712 8 EUR 115.00 / USD 138.00

Table of contents
Foreword
Chapter 1. Media, international relations, collective memories, and
critical discourse analysis
Chapter 2. National and international contexts for the international media echo
Chapter 3. Russia in Le Monde and The New York Times
Chapter 4. Le Monde's and The New York Times' editorials in their
national societies
Chapter 5. Russian reactions to the West
Chapter 6. Crossing cultural and disciplinary boundaries
Appendices
Notes