Introduction

colin purcell-lee colinpurcelllee at BTINTERNET.COM
Sat May 26 17:13:50 UTC 2007

Dear ListMembers,

I am Dr Colin R Purcell-Lee currently amending a viva proposal to an EdD in International Educational Leadership & Management at a UK university.

My research dissertation involves 'Identifying an Appropriate Continuing Professional Development response to the Dark [or Shadow] side of Educational Leadership'. The research is text-based and I suggested using a Dialogical Hermeneutic and Foucauldian approach to analysing a range of relevant documents.
I am now required to use CDA and Foucault rather than Hermeneutics; As I am not a linguist, CDA appears rather daunting.

I am required to produce a 2 - 3 page document outlining CDA and how this will be employed by me in selection of texts and in relation to the analysis.

My previous clinical practice involved counselling/psychotherapy with victims of war, torture and oppression consequently I might require a new vocabulary and set of understandings in order to demonstrate an accceptable level of CDA knowledge and its application to texts (official and course material).

I have some texts on CDA off the net and Maggie Maclure's book Discourse in Educational and Social Research particularly her chap. on 'Definitions of Discourse . . . '.

Are there any really accessible texts that would be of assistance?

Regards,

Colin.