IPrA panel "Quoting from the case file: Intertextual practices in courtroom discourse"

Sigurd D'hondt sigurd.dhondt at UGENT.BE
Wed Jul 28 13:38:56 UTC 2010

apologies for cross-posting...

[call for abstracts]

Panel at the 12th International Pragmatics
Conference, Manchester, 3-8 July, 2011

QUOTING FROM THE CASE FILE: INTERTEXTUAL PRACTICES IN
COURTROOM DISCOURSE

organizers: Sigurd D'hondt (Ghent University) & Fleur van den Houwen
(VU University, Amsterdam)

Criminal trial hearings are communicative events which are densely
intertextually structured. Documents in the case file such as police
records of the arrest, witness statements and expert records are
extensively referred to, quoted, requoted, and recontextualized in the
course of the trial - which is inevitable because demonstrating the
defendant's criminal liability and the establishment of a binding
legal reality crucially hinge on the transformation of these
discourses into lawful evidence. For this panel, we invite
contributions from various angles that explore how quoting in the
courtroom is actually done, including - but not limited to -
conversation analysis, linguistic anthropology, and interactional
sociolinguistics. Rather than tracing the intertextual trajectory of
these various discourses throughout the legal institutions (which we
rather consider as a general background to our enterprise), we seek
papers that specifically focus on the question how quoting and related
intertextual practices are sensitive to the particulars of the
courtroom environment. Questions that come to mind are for example:

* What form do intertextual practices take (direct/indirect quote,
summarizing etc.)?
* Who is quoted (e.g. suspect or witness?) how, and in what
interactional environment?
* To what extent is quoting intertwined with the projection of
institutional identities? (For example, do prosecutors and defense
attorneys quote differently?)
* How is quoting responded to by the other parties?
* How does the legal system (accusatorial vs. inquisitorial) affect
intertextual practices?
* ...

As indicated, the proposed panel is open to researchers from different
approaches. We envisage two 90-minute sessions, each including three
to four presentations.

Some important deadlines:

* Sept. 15, 2010     send abstracts (500 words) to Sigurd.Dhondt at Ugent.be
* Oct. 29, 2010      authors must have submitted their abstracts to
IPrA (n.b.: IPrA membership required!)
* July 3-8, 2011     IPrA Conference, Manchester