CFP: Georgetown University Linguistic Landscape Symposium

Corinne Seals cseals108 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 8 18:02:03 UTC 2010

*
Dear Colleagues,

Please find attached the call for the first Georgetown University Linguistic
Landscape Symposium.  Please feel free to email with any questions.

Thank you!
Corinne Seals

Georgetown University Linguistic Landscape Symposium
(GULLS)*

The first student-run Georgetown University Linguistic Landscape Symposium
will be held at Georgetown University on April 15, 2011, on the new and
emerging topic of Linguistic Landscape: the use of all forms of language in
public space. With the development of the field of LL in various places
worldwide, we would like to present the opportunity for our fellow students
and researchers to share research and get feedback from their peers in a
supportive environment. Topics can range from the use of language in urban
centers to the  Internet’s variety of multimodal representations of public
messages. The types of communication that arise from reactions to these
media fit the topic as well, so long as the crucial questions are addressed:
how do we construct and perceive language in the public domain, and how does
it affect our own reactions and interactions?

Symposium participants will include Dr. Elana Shohamy (University of Tel
Aviv), Dr. Cecilia Castillo-Ayometzi (Georgetown University), Dr. Aneta
Pavlenko (Temple University) and other prominent scholars TBA.

We would like to dedicate this symposium to the memory of Ron Scollon, whose
pioneering research was invaluable to the fields of geolinguistics and
discourse analysis. After years of mentoring students and faculty alike at
Georgetown, Dr. Scollon had a significant impact that was instrumental in
the development of LL as a dynamic area of research. We hope that he would
be proud to see students taking these topics, expanding upon them, and
sharing their findings and theories with others.

*Call for Papers*
As this will be a symposium run primarily for and by students, we are
primarily interested in student work (both undergraduate and graduate) that
will be presented in open forum discussions, paper presentations, and a
poster session. However, we encourage everyone to submit research for
consideration.

Possible topics (including but not limited to): use of text and language in
the virtual landscape, multilingualism in public discourse, the impact of
media on the linguistic landscape, effects of multimodality in the LL, text
in public space as a point of contention, influence of audio on the
construction of space, interactions between textual artifacts and their
viewers, etc.

Deadline for Abstract Submission: December 17, 2010
Notification of Acceptance: by January 18, 2011

Abstracts should contain information about the focus of the research,
methodology used, preliminary results, preference of format (presentation or
poster session), and implications of Linguistic Landscape in its broader
definitions. Please note that presentations will be limited to 15 minutes,
with ten minutes for questions/answers afterward. Abstracts should be
limited to 300 words; please indicate if you will need A/V for your
presentation. Accepted participants will be required to register by the
early deadline.

We understand that the definition of LL is still being shaped and explored.
If you aren’t certain that your work fits in, please contact us regarding
your topic/research interest and we will be happy to discuss your work’s
suitability/possible changes and refer to the number of publications in the
area. To read about some of the notable findings in the area of LL, please
refer to the following scholars' books:

Discourses in Place by Ron and Suzie Wong Scollon (2003)
Linguistic Landscape: A New Approach to Multilingualism by Durk Gorter
(2006)
Linguistic Landscapes by Peter Backhaus (2007)
Linguistic Landscape: Expanding the Scenery, edited by Elana Shohamy and
Durk Gorter (2008)
Linguistic Landscape in the City, edited by Elana Shohamy, Eliezer
Ben-Rafael, and Monica Barni (2010)

For more information about the conference and LL, please have a look at our
website:http://www7.georgetown.edu/students/gjn5/

Registration will open November 1st. Please see the website for details.
Early Registration: $15 by March 15th
Late Registration: $20 after March 15th
Lunch will be provided, and a happy hour will follow the conference.

We are looking forward to your participation and believe it will be a unique
opportunity to share work and encourage new projects that are relevant to
the ecology surrounding us.