CFP: 2-day appraisal symposium, UNSW sydney

el don eldon at GOL.COM
Sun Oct 14 04:36:36 UTC 2012

*apologies for cross-posting*

dear colleagues,

due to the ongoing interest in using appraisal analysis, and the
continuing discussion here and there about the framework, how it is
used, on what types of texts, how context and co-text figures in
intepretation of categories, whether two analysts of the same texts
come up with the same analyses, how appraisal can be used in teaching
contexts, what grammar has to do with it, how large corpora can be
used to check or even code evaluative meanings, and so on and so
forth...

...we've decided to put on a two-day symposium during the summer
break at unsw here in sydney. there are a limited number of slots for
presentation of papers if anyone would like to do so.
you can send the abstracts to me by november 30, and peter and i will
read them and see whether we have enough slots to go round. we will
get back to you by the start of 2013.

the symposium will be totally unfunded, and there is no budget at
all, so there is no registration fee, but we will ask you to indicate
whether you are coming or not because the largest room will only hold
80 people. if you are not registered you may be turned away!

also there will be no food or drinks provided for the symposium, but
we will be a short walk from several cafeteriae.

we have several wonderful confirmed speakers:

jim r. martin, university of sydney
peter r. r. white, university of nsw
monika bednarek, university of sydney
charlotte hommerberg, linnaeus university (sweden)
dorothy economou, university of sydney
jodie martin, university of adelaide

venue:
webster building, university of nsw, sydney
dates:
wednesday & thursday, february 20th & 21st, 2013
abstracts due:
november 30th, 2012

best wishes,
lexie