Software for representation / analysis of internet discussion forums

el don eldon at GOL.COM
Mon Jan 28 11:21:17 UTC 2013

hi celso,

do not know whether this has been developed for our convenience as
analysts, but in the late 90's eva ekeblad published a couple of papers
with graphic representation of the ebb and flow of a mailing list
discussion, with a focus on what threads were carried on by how many
people and under what time constraints...
see for example:
http://hyperion.math.upatras.gr/commorg/ekeblad/multdyn.html
and
http://lchc.ucsd.edu/Histarch/ekeblad/cocomu.html

not exactly what you are looking for with the web 2.0 version of
discussion forums being a different mode, but now you'd hope that this
could be converted into a graphic representation at the touch of a
button, so to speak. not necessarily automatically (although there would
be ways of coding for initiator, responder, commenter and so on, and
then mark up a text automatically with their signifiers, then go through
with another pass perhaps and focus on say, reply versus respond,
manually makr them up and then automatically have them linked to the
contributors, etc).

being an analyst of email discussion group interaction i also found the
following article most useful - apart for the fact that when dealing
with more than say 20 participants a day, who contribute an average of
two posts per day, the format she suggested began to get unwieldy.
simple but good though:
Harrison, S. 2003: "Computer-mediated interaction: using discourse maps
to represent multi-party, multi-topic asynchronous discussions", in
Sarangi, S. & van Leeuwen, T. (eds), Applied Linguistics and Communities
of Practice. London & New York: Continuum.

i also thought it would be good to represent contributions by way of a
'code swarm' where there is also a dynamic time elements factored in
to the representation. but then, i am not a coder, so i always hoped
someone could make the skeleton software...
see for a start:
http://www.michaelogawa.com/code_swarm/

mick o'donnell's corpus tool can be bent to your will perhaps - that's
for manual coding of text and graphics, but it has several outputs, more
being worked on at the moment  - might be worth while getting contact
with him to ask whether what you're looking for might also be possible
at some time.
http://www.wagsoft.com/CorpusTool/features.html

sounds like a great project to my ears anyway.
please keep us apprised of any progress.

best wishes,

lexie