CFP: Political Linguistics 3 conference, Warsaw 8-10 May 2014 (PL2014)

Piotr Cap strus_pl at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 3 09:11:51 UTC 2013

(with apologies for cross-posting)

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

We cordially invite you to submit abstracts for the PL2014 conference:

=========================

POLITICAL LINGUISTICS III

(Re)construing nationhood in ‘(un)doing Europe’ today?Warsaw, 8-10 May 2014
http://pl.ils.uw.edu.pl
Contact: pl.ils at uw.edu.pl

Conference theme and foci
The conference will examine the current nexus between national and
European thinking (in talk and text). Our focus is on the various
discursive (re)constructions of national identification vis-à-vis Europe (and the contemporary world in the background): whether, and if so,
then how, where and why, the ongoing discourses of European integration
(and disintegration) invigorate, mute, or simply redefine national talk
in (semi)public practices and domains, whether domestically or
internationally. Relational, dynamic and integrative perspectives on
nationhood are welcome in particular: how does the national element
interact with other social dimensions and categories, especially those
based in regional, global, political, professional or gender and
age-related variation? What is the role of ideologies and policies of
multiculturalism, employment, race and immigration? Do national (and
nationalistic) arguments correlate with parameters of social
diversification (economic, educational; elitist and egalitarian
attitudes)?

The conference will address discursive (texts, genres, metaphors,
etc.), and more broadly, semiotic (artifacts, images, icons, etc.)
manifestations of nationhood in how Europe is being ‘done’, but
also‘undone’ today. This, we hope, will reveal various aspects, sites and styles of interdiscursivity and dialogization of difference (in the
sense of Bakhtin) over issues involving national, European and
international concerns. We welcome contributions examining interactions
marked by power differential (esp. among citizens, politicians, experts
and authorities).

We invite papers exploring various contexts, domains and practices
(politics, media, business, research and education, religion, sports and entertainment, tourism, health and environment protection), as well as
different media and technologies (old and new media; translation and
interpretation; sign language; school and academic teaching).We envision the conference as an international and interdisciplinary forum of
discussion, gathering scholars working within or (preferably) at the
intersection of different methodologies: discourse analysis, critical
discourse studies, pragmatics, (new) rhetoric, Systemic-Functional
Linguistics, Register & Genre Theory, narrative theory, ethnography, social semiotics, multimodal analysis, and related approaches with
communication at the forefront.

We are pleased to announce the following plenary speakers:
Prof. Peter Berglez, Örebro University, Sweden
Prof. Elżbieta Hałas, University of Warsaw, Poland
Prof. Leszek J. Korporowicz, Jagiellonian University, Poland
Prof. Michał Krzyżanowski, Örebro University, Sweden
Prof. John E. Richardson, Loughborough University, UK
Prof. Carlo Ruzza, University of Trento, Italy & University of Leicester, UK

The conference languages are English, German and Polish. Papers will be allocated 20 minutes plus 10 minutes for questions.
Abstracts of no more than 300 words including references should be sent
as MS Word attachment to pl.ils at uw.edu.pl by 15 December 2013. Please include in the body of the email but not in the abstract itself
your name, affiliation and email address. Notifications of acceptance
will be communicated by 15 January 2014.

Organizers
University of Warsaw
Institute of Applied Linguistics
Dept. of Discourse Studies
Prof. Anna Duszak
Dr. Łukasz Kumięga

University of Łódź
Institute of English
Dept. of Pragmatics
Prof. Piotr Cap
Dr. Monika Kopytowska

In cooperation with the University of Nottingham
School of Sociology and Social Policy
Dr. Christian Karner

=========================
Best regards,

(on behalf of the Organizers)
Piotr Cap

Prof. zw. dr hab. Piotr Cap
Department of Pragmatics (Head)
Institute of English, University of Lodz
Al.Kosciuszki 65, 90-514 Lodz, POLAND
tel/fax +48 42 6655220
http://ia.uni.lodz.pl/pragmatics/faculty/pcap
http://ia.uni.lodz.pl/anglistyka/ZPJ?piotr_cap