Introduction

John Oddo joddo at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Thu Aug 28 21:30:21 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

My name is John Oddo and I am an Assistant Professor in the Rhetoric program at Carnegie Mellon University. My research draws together rhetorical theory, critical discourse studies, media studies, and social semiotics. In particular, I'm interested in war-time discourse--and how it travels across political and media texts.

I just published a book called Intertextuality and the 24-Hour News Cycle that examines American news coverage of Colin Powell's 2003 U.N. address. (I hope you'll check it out!) And now I'm busy working on a new book about propaganda in the Persian Gulf War and the “War on Terror.”

Looking forward to meeting you in person!

Sincerely,
-John
John Oddo
Assistant Professor of Rhetoric
English Department
Carnegie Mellon University
Author of Intertextuality and the 24-Hour News Cycle