Heidi Harley: "light" verbs in English (reply to Carson Schutze)

Martha McGinnis mcginnis at ucalgary.ca
Tue Oct 10 14:16:16 UTC 2000

I agree that in a late-insertion approach "be"-support makes pretty
good sense, at least when "be" is tensed. Distinguishing between
"be"-support on the one hand and "have" and "do" support on the other
is pretty easy, I think, as Carson suggests:
-T is realized as "be" when the complement to TP is a small clause,
-you get "do" when the complement to TP (or NegP) is a vP (and hence eventive),
- you get "have" when the complement to TP is a saturated PP headed by P(have).

(That last one isn't so nice; presumably a saturated PP is itself a
small clause, so it really ought to get "be" -- but maybe "have" is
really just a suppletive spell-out of "be" in a certain environment,
i.e. with a P(have) complement).

But: of course "be" can behave like it's not "support" at all; it's
got a past participle form, etc. How do you get "be-support" to work
out in "John has been swimming"? (this applies to "have" as well, of
course). Seems likely that this is the reason that most folks have
stuck with the more theoretically cumbersome and intuitively strange
notion that auxiliaries in English are generated as main verbs and
then move. And a late-insertion approach that realizes "be" as a v or
V node will have to explain why those v or V node s can raise but
ones that don't get realized as "be" can't -- so we're back to our
same old problem of explaining why "underspecified" v or V can raise
but contentful v or V can't.

But there must be a better way!

Cf a semi-interesting recent discussion by Lightfoot (I think) about
how "be" isn't really a verb at all.

Thoughts?

best, hh