Alec Marantz: Word formation constraints (reply to Dan Everett)

Martha McGinnis mcginnis at ucalgary.ca
Fri Feb 16 18:00:18 UTC 2001

I must confess that I don't understand the connection between Dan's real
worry -- what's the proper analysis of Wari' quotatives -- and DM (as
Andrew C-M also points out).  I think I agree with him that to the extent
that there's a special problem, it's a problem for any theory (i.e., for
what Dan is calling a "formal" theory, although I fail to see the
difference here between "theory" and "formal theory").

There is a confusion about the role of node labels.  I, for one, believe
that the Chomskian program can do without node labels entirely.  But, in
any case, the first member of a compound noun in English can be complex
(glass flower case, etc.) and it's clear that there is no category
constraint on the first member of the compound.  Thus, I believe, it would
be hard for DM or any other theory to keep phrases out of this position.
The problem is accounting for the interpretation on the one hand and the
restriction on complements on the other.  So, putting aside the "phrasal"
cases like "keep off the grass sign," when the first member of the compound
(or when an adjectival modifier in the same structural position) has a
complement, the structure is bad (compare, "vest pocket kerchief" with,
"*pocket of a vest kerchief" and recall, "*afraid of dogs man" vs., "man
afraid of dogs").  When phrases like "keep off the grass" are treated as
single units, they don't fall under the "no complement" generalization even
though they contain complements.  So in a clear sense they do behave like
simple heads as opposed to complex heads (or phrases).  Dan challenges us
to find an account of this.  Contrary to Dan, I believe that current
"formal" theories are precisely addressing the relevant issues concerning
the relation between the syntax and semantics of structures.  That doesn't
mean formal theories currently have an answer to the question Dan raises,
although I agree with Heidi that Carnie's approach is closer to an answer
than Dan seems to believe.

marantz at mit.edu