Alec Marantz: phonological arguments for late insertion? (reply to Martha McGinnis)

Martha McGinnis mcginnis at ucalgary.ca
Fri Nov 16 22:40:49 UTC 2001

Along the lines that Piotr is suggesting, you might look at Bruce
Hayes's article, "Precompiled Phrasal Phonology," in _The
Phonology-Syntax Connection_ Inkelas and Zec, eds., U of Chicago
Press, 1990.  His solution to preserve lexical phonology is to
"precompile" the results of a "lexical" phonological rule in the
lexicon even though the context of the rule won't be met until the
syntax.

marantz at mit.edu