Martha McGinnis: phonological arguments for late insertion? (reply to Dan Everett)

Martha McGinnis mcginnis at ucalgary.ca
Sat Nov 17 19:52:42 UTC 2001

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the information... sounds like an interesting project.
But is this really an argument against Lexical Phonology?  LP doesn't
necessitate structure-preserving postlexical rules, but I don't think
it rules them out either.  The situation might be different if we
found a 'lexical' phonological rule that ISN'T structure-preserving.
Anyway, the facts you describe are interesting -- thanks for the
suggestion.

-Martha

mcginnis at ucalgary.ca