Carson Schutze: Application of DM to error analyses (reply to Amanda Owen)

Martha McGinnis mcginnis at ucalgary.ca
Mon Oct 1 18:18:00 UTC 2001

Hi Amanda,

Might I humbly refer you to my dissertation? It discusses the nature
of defaults in DM in the context of acquisition, as well as adult
syntax, concentrating on case and agreement. There is also some
discussion on the question I think you're alluding to near the end of
your message, namely how syntactic feature checking does or doesn't
interact with morphological defaults. I've changed my thinking on
that a bit, am now leaning more towards the Marantzian view that says
that the whole case & agreement system really belongs in the spellout
component, not in the narrow syntax, but in the diss. you'll see an
attempt to argue the opposite. As Alec said to me recently, this
issue is "very tricky" :-)

You might also be interested in a paper about to appear in the
journal Syntax, which expands on my dissertation discussion about
default case. Here are the references:

Schütze, Carson T. (1997) INFL in child and adult language:
Agreement, case and licensing. Doctoral dissertation, MIT.
Distributed by MIT Working Papers in Linguistics.

--- (2001) On the nature of default case. In press, Syntax 4(3).

I would be happy to discuss these issues with you in more detail.

     Carson

--

Carson T. Schutze           Department of Linguistics, UCLA
Email: cschutze at ucla.edu    Box 951543, Los Angeles CA  90095-1543  U.S.A.

Office: Campbell Hall 2224B Deliveries/Courier: 3125 Campbell Hall
Campus Mail Code: 154302    Web: www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/cschutze
Phone: (310)995-9887        Fax: (310)206-8595
"Words and music. I love them. And especially what happens when you
put them together into songs. And sing them, in a large building, in
a central part of town, as part of a play, with a lot of people
listening, who have all paid a great deal to get in."  --Ed Kleban,
lyricist of 'A Chorus Line'