Alec Marantz: Honorifics, etc. (reply to Mark Volpe)

Martha McGinnis mcginnis at ucalgary.ca
Sun Sep 2 16:38:19 UTC 2001

I agree with Mark that "Expressive Derivations" (I assume "Expessive"
was a typo) are of great interest to morphological theory.  For
example, cases of double plural marking cross-linguistically seem to
involve interactions of plural with diminutives, probably not an
accident.  I fail to see, however, why any assumptions of DM cause it
particular problems with the sorts of data Mark describes.  DM
endorses the claim of the "Strong Lexicalist Hypothesis" that
derivation doesn't occur before inflection (and that in fact the
derivation/inflection split is a false dichotomy) -- cases of mixed
derivation and inflection, then, don't by themselves challenge DM.
Most versions of strong lexicalism assume strong versions of
compositionality for morphology, so they are parallel to DM claims
that all morphology is syntactic, with the syntactic structures
determining morpheme position also determining interpretation.

So what precisely is the problem with these expressive derivations,
other than that they call for an account?  If the problem is
compositionality, that's a problem for everyone, not a special
problem for DM.  On the other hand, of course, not making any strong
claims about a particular set of data is nothing for a theory to brag
about.

And what's Sells (1995)?  (It's not listed on his web site.)

--Alec Marantz