Dan Everett: suppletion (reply to Carson Schutze)

Martha McGinnis mcginnis at ucalgary.ca
Wed Dec 18 16:02:37 UTC 2002

Carson's questions and Rolf's answer were both interesting. Let me
suggest an additional example to those Carson brings up. In Wari' many
verbs have suppletive forms on an ergative pattern (described in the
Everett & Kern 1997 Routledge Grammar). I don't have the examples off
the top of my head and am typing this at home, but the process is
simple. Many intransitive verbs have suppletive forms for plural
subjects while many transitive verbs have suppletive forms for plural
objects. The suppletion seems to run from what Carson refers to as
'true' suppletion (such qualifiers make me wince, but I will resist the
temptation to say why) and 'Readjustment'.

I will close with a digression that those who know me will not find
surprising: statements to the effect that 'hypothesis X is more
interesting because it is stronger' are a form of epistemological
sloganeering with little to commend them.

Dan

Dan Everett
Professor of Phonetics and Phonology
Department of Linguistics