Heidi Harley: Unaccusatives and special meaning (reply to Martha McGinnis)

Martha McGinnis mcginnis at ucalgary.ca
Wed Feb 6 17:30:04 UTC 2002

Hi all --

v. nice examples, marf! here's another one, with "break" itself

the wave broke (on the shore)
*the shore broke the wave

it seems to me that i had once heard of or thought of some others
along those lines but can't remember 'em anymore. Rolf, do you?

my position w/r to the stacking of little v, as martha says
below, has always been that (within lexical items) it's not.
it's always seemed to me that the semantic 'feel' for an
embedded inchoative in sentences like "m. cleared the table"
comes from our understanding of how the world works. After
all, in "M. made the table clear/ M. made J. happy..." etc.
there's no inchoative, and yet we understand the table to have
become clear and John to have become happy.

This makes me want to re-open a question for you
all. In my own little universe of argument structure, I can
distinguish, to my own satisfaction, between causatives
(transitive open, give, put), inchoatives (intransitive open,
arrive, fall), semelfactives (hit, cough), verbs of
creation/destruction (foal, build, eat) and states (know, have).
Causatives and inchoatives, and the verbs of creation
and destruction, are mostly Vendler's accomplishments.

Here's the problem: Most of Vendler's acheivements
(distinct from semelfactives because they involve a change
of state, and are not iterated in the progressive) don't
fit, unless they have the same structure as accomplishments.
If that's so, then the fabled difference between acheivements
and accomplishments must be an encyclopedic effect: because
we *know* that kicking the bucket, winning the
race, and reaching the top only takes an instant in time,
the interpretive effects that caused Vendler to
distinguish them in the first place are effects of
interaction with encyclopedic structure, much like
the inference that an inchoative must be entailed by
a causative. At least, this is what I hope is true.
If it is, then I don't need to revise my ideas about
how argument structure and event structure interact;
if it's not, then I need to make room for acheivements.

But there really are differences between accomplishments
and acheivements, notably the "pre-event" focus that
you get in the progressive (contrast "Mary's winning
the race" with "mary's building the house"). Others are
discussed by Anna Mittwoch in her paper in the Belgian
journal of linguistics, "In Defense of Vendler's
Achievements." (her actual arguments escape me at this
precise second because it's been a long time since i
read it -- I'll go back and recheck soon).

But I was just wondering what take you all had on this
problem. I know a number of folks have the same wish that
I do (that accomplishments and acheivements do not differ
significantly in argument structure)... but are there
arguments? or is it all motivated theory-internally, as
it is for me? I think the "inference to pre-event
progressives" approach has some plausibility (esp if
you accept the argument about inchoatives that I want to
sell), but it'd be nice if there were real reasons. (E.g.
VPs that could be manipulated by object selection
into being accomplishments with one object but achevements
with another... it occurs to me that "break" might be
an example:

john is breaking the record  --> achievement, pre-event focus
mary is breaking the news    --> is this an accomplishment?
                                  internal event focus?

let me know if you have any thoughts or references I should
know about --

all the best, hh

Heidi Harley
Department of Linguistics