Martha McGinnis: Unaccusatives and special meaning (reply to Dan Everett)

Martha McGinnis mcginnis at ucalgary.ca
Wed Feb 6 22:27:09 UTC 2002

I think Dan may have misread my message.  The examples I gave were
supposed to be idiosyncratic uses.  The degree of idiosyncrasy varies
a bit, as it does in the L&R examples: in "the sun rose", the sun
really rises (in some naive-science sense); in "X's eyes popped",
something really happens to X's eyes, though it's not clear that it's
the usual sense of "popping"; in "the penny dropped," there are no
pennies and no dropping, in the usual sense.  But yes, the whole
point of my message was that these are intransitive phrasal idioms,
whose idiomatic sense doesn't carry over to the transitive
counterpart.

mcginnis at ucalgary.ca